Thursday, September 11, 2008

Homeschool Group and Asthma

Today we had our first homeschool group classes. Zach is taking a Cooking class (they made apple pie today) and a Drama class (they are writing some sorta production). Jordan is in an Art class, which she said she loves and a Human Body class. Rachel is also in a Human Body class with the K's, she learned about "dem bones" today. Abby is hanging out in the Nursery, and she was not having a good time today. I picked her up from the nursery and as we gathering our stuff to go outside for a picnic with the group, I noticed that she was breathing heavy and coughing. At times, it sounded like she was choking. She just followed me around crying and coughing. I kept picking her up, patting her back it seemed to get better for a few minutes. I kept thinking, "once we get outside she'll feel better". When we got outside I sat down next to Teresa (sis-in-law) and mentioned to her that Abby was breathing kinda heavy, what did she think? - making a long story short, she continued to cry, cough and she couldn't catch her breath. I had never experienced this with any of my kids so I wasn't sure what to do, until one mom says, "I think she is having an asthma attack." Finally, I thought what am I still doing here - my daughter can not breathe. I packed up, called the doctor and was on my way. Sure enough, she was having an asthma attack and needed a breathing treatment immediately.
She seemed to respond well to the one given to her in the doctor's office so they didn't send me to Children's Hospital. I came home with a nebulizer machine, tubes, face mask and prescriptions for steroids. She is alseep on the couch now and still breathing kinda fast and heavy. I have given her a dose of steroids, and one breathing treatment so far (3 more yet tonight). I wasn't expecting this today - Asthma - who knew?
She goes back in the morning to check the progress of the treatments. Pray for her!
Thanks,
Stace

2 comments:

mhutsell said...

OH Stace...I am sorry...this is rough. My friend's kids have it and the breathing treatments help but the steroids make them quite hyper. I know she uses those sparingly. I pray the breathing treatments bring great relief. I am glad your friend there had the wisdom to say asthma! Hope she feels better soon! Love, M.

Beck Family said...

Glad the medicine was able to give her some relief. I know nothing about asthma. I do know this year has been the worst for pollen in decades in this area. Joseph is currently on three different prescription allergy meds.